The following article first appeared in The Echo of Cantley Volume 22 no 6, December 2010. This article is made available for the enjoyment of others with the express permission of the Echo of Cantley.
Cantley now has its own association to promote the heritage of our pioneer community.Cantley 1889 started, with the encouragement of Mayor Steve Harris, as a small group of Cantleyans who see our history and heritage as part of the rich culture that helps to define our municipality.
Pioneers settled in Cantley from the 1830s, but they had no voice in their own affairs for a good 50 years. It was in 1889, with the incorporation of the Municipal Corporation of East Hull, that Cantley got its own local government. Alex Prud'homme was the first mayor of the new municipality, which stretched from the Gatineau River on the west, Wilsons Corners in the north, West Templeton on the east and to the railway on the south side - an area that corresponds roughly to today's Cantley.
The new group, officially called l'Association Cantley 1889/Cantley 1889 Association, would like to hear from anyone who is interested in being on the board, becoming a member, or who can offer stories, artefacts, or ideas that will help preserve the built heritage and historical record of Cantley.
"At a meeting in November, we agreed that our own historical association will be called Cantley 1889, as a reminder that our local history began with the pioneer families of the 1800s," said Margaret Phillips, founding president of Cantley 1889. "We look forward to involving many members of the Cantley community in our efforts to make our history part of our future."
For further information: Margaret Phillips: email@example.com